Monday, June 24, 2019

Day 9 - Jackson Wyoming to West Yellowstone Montana

Today was as close to an easy day as we get on this trip. The distance was moderate, there was not a lot of climbing and the weather was good. The climb from the hotel this morning to the top of Teton Pass took about two hours. Once completed, the rest of the day was rolling hills with favorable winds. We followed the western edge of the Teton Mountains so the view of the snow capped peaks to our right was spectacular. There are many potato farms and low trafficked roads to enjoy in Idaho.

This is the first of these bike trips I've done where I'm not getting weaker as we go. I trained more and differently for this trip, including a lot of back to back long days. I think the lack of doing that before was a problem. I feel about as strong now as I did on Day 1 which is good considering the number of miles and weather challenges we've had.

Tomorrow is nearly 160 miles up to Butte Montana. I've ridden this route before in reverse as part of a shorter day several years ago. In fact, tomorrow is two of my 2014 tour days combined. There are several climbs and then between the climbs are very long valleys that you traverse. If we can avoid the storms that are forecast up in Butte for tomorrow afternoon it should be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment