Sunday, June 23, 2019

Day 8 - Evanston Wyoming to Jackson Wyoming

This time last night I really didn't think there was any way I would get to Jackson in a manner that did not involve four wheels. I doubt I slept more than two hours last night. I was so sore and my body temperature was really messed up from going back and forth all day yesterday and the day before between too hot and too cold. But when I started riding this morning I didn't feel terrible and that surprised me. It just so happened that a group of six other riders was riding at about the same speed I was. With the exception of about twenty miles we rode from the hotel this morning to the hotel here in Jackson together, leaving at 5:30 am and arriving here at 6:20 pm with 216 miles. We had perfect weather that included tailwinds. I'm still in shock that we pulled it off because it just seemed very unlikely based on how things were looking last night.

We went from the rolling grasslands of southern Wyoming to the snow capped peaks of northern Wyoming. One of my favorite parts of this route is where you follow the west shore of Bear Lake for probably twenty miles. I took some pictures to try to show you both the massive size of the lake and the beauty of it. Jackson is nice but the traffic has gotten bad here over the last decade or two as the town has grown. There is a lot of road construction going on here all around the area.

Tomorrow we almost immediately begin climbing Teton Pass at over 8,000 feet which will take us to Idaho where we follow the west slope of the Teton Mountains. The west side is mostly potato farms until you get up closer to West Yellowstone and then it becomes thick forests again. At only 135 miles it may feel like a rest day if the weather cooperates again!

No comments:

Post a Comment