Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Day 4 - Pagosa Springs Colorado to Ouray Colorado

Today was by far the most scenic day of the trip to this point. After heading north from Durango we crossed two passes of just over 10,000 feet and one of just over 11,000 feet. The weather was perfect. This time of year there are often afternoon thunderstorms at the high elevations. Even this time of year it's not unusual to have hail and bad lightning and heavy rain. Today it was blue skies and big white puffy clouds.

It was cool so I felt good all day. I had a touch of a headache and a little lack of energy due to the elevation but it was nothing very noticeable. We left Pagosa Springs at 6:30 this morning and I arrived here in Ouray at 4:30 with 135 miles so that's pretty good considering the large amount of climbing.

I tried to include some pictures I took that show what I thought was the best of the scenery. I've ridden part of today's route in reverse several years back but the scenery is still awe inspiring every time you see it.

Tomorrow we ride over the Grand Mesa to Grand Junction. Grand Mesa is 11,000 feet elevation. Supposedly it is the largest flat topped mountain in the world. The climb up there will probably take close to four hours but after you get to the top the rest of the day is a nice descent all the way in to Grand Junction.

No comments:

Post a Comment