Monday, June 17, 2019

Day 2 - Socorro New Mexico to Santa Fe New Mexico

Today was a long day at 178 miles but I am feeling much better. It got progressively cooler throughout the day and the cooler it got, the better I felt. I actually felt better at the end of the day today than I did at the beginning so I'm recovering even while undergoing the stress of riding which is good.

The scenery today was more mountains and less desert which is a huge positive. The landscape is much more green and less arid. There was a lot of climbing but a few very fun descents. I got rained on between miles 122-128. Right before we arrived at lunch there was a hailstorm that we missed by about 10 minutes. All we saw of it were wet roads. We had a lot of headwinds. It made for a very slow and long day. I did not reach the hotel here in Santa Fe until 7:30 and I was the fourth rider to arrive. Several riders had to ride the support vans in because they would have finished in the dark if they had tried to ride.

Tomorrow we ride to Pagosa Springs Colorado. It is just over 150 miles so we're not leaving here until 6:30 in the morning, a half hour later than the last two mornings. The extra thirty minutes of sleep will be nice. It's supposed to be 52 degrees and sunny when we leave tomorrow morning so I'm looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment