Sunday, June 16, 2019

Day 1 - El Paso Texas to Socorro New Mexico

Today was about as tough a bike ride as I've ever done. I just can't ride long distances in this heat. I had massive cramping and no energy for the last 3 or 4 hours of the day. The cramping was so bad my jaw was cramping. I've never had that happen before. I was so weak when I got to the hotel I had to take my shower sitting down. In addition to the cramping I had both nausea and vertigo to the point where I was afraid I was going to fall if I walked much or even stood up. I rode from 6 am to 6:15 pm and feel much better as I'm typing this 2.5 hours after the ride was over. The cramping has almost stopped and the nausea and vertigo are both gone. I'm lying in bed now and just being on my back feels good. I spent the day riding in groups and on my own. The scenery was neat in places but mostly just barren desert. I added the route profile for today and I'll do that for each day going forward.

So tomorrow is 178 miles up to Santa Fe. The weather forecast is calling for cooler conditions and that combined with less distance than today's 192 should help. I think with a good night's sleep I'll be okay tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a much better ride today. I'm really enjoying riding along with you and seeing your photos. (Got the link from your wife on Ravelry.)

    ReplyDelete