Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 11 - Grand Junction Colorado to Montrose Colorado 114 miles

Today started with the longest climb I've ever done, a 50 mile climb from Grand Junction to the top of Grand Mesa. The ride to the top was beautiful but for me extremely difficult. I think it was a combination of the elevation and not eating and drinking enough. The climb topped out at almost 11,000 feet and I definitely experienced shortness of breath from the altitude.

The descent of course was the payoff for the five hour long climb. It featured long sweeping curves that required no braking. It was essentially downhill for 25 miles in to the town of Delta. The last 25 miles were painful. I got overheated once we got down here in the valley and I was still feeling the effects of the climb. Once again, Ethan, Tom, Scott and later in the day, John Newton, and I rode most of the day together. It was still a long day but the teamwork made things a little easier.

In my opinion, this was the most difficult day of the trip. It was just so much climbing, which I'm not great at. Tomorrow is more of the same so I think it will be really tough as well. We climb over three mountain passes over 10,000 feet between here and Durango.

No comments:

Post a Comment