Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 15 - Camden Alabama to Eufaula Alabama

We've reached the point where 154 mile days like today are almost easy. Notice I said almost. It's still a lot of riding but compared to the days at or near 200 miles, it's much more manageable. I find 150 miles to be the most I can do with ease. Anything over that distance is too much time on the bike and on a multi-day trip like this, an 11 or 12 hour day doesn't allow enough recovery time for the next day.

I really like it here in Alabama. It's a more rural version of southern Indiana. There is certainly poverty here as in any other place but many of the small towns are quite nice. The town of Pine Apple in particular is very nice. It's hillier here than I had anticipated. I've not seen big hills but lots and lots of gentle rolling hills. The people here are nice as well with several of them asking us where we had come from and where we are going.

With only two days to go, I think the consensus is most of us are ready to wrap up the trip. Two weeks is a long time to eat breakfast in hotel parking lots and dinner in whatever restaurant you can find within walking distance each evening. It's time to return to normal life.

We start the first of two days crossing Georgia tomorrow. The day is 160 miles with some rolling hills early and then flattening out in the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. When I run and know I have 3 miles left, I tell myself I have 4. When I climb several flights of stairs, I tell myself I have a couple more than I really do. I can fake myself out pretty well doing these crazy things. I don't get as tired. So tomorrow, tell yourself there are 175 miles and three days left. Maybe 160 and 2 will seem a bit easier.

    Or maybe not...

    ReplyDelete